Belong to the continuing tradition of Belle Haven Country Club and give your family memories that will last forever.
Belle Haven Yesterday
Belle Haven Country Club and the surrounding Belle Haven residential community began together in the early 1920's when David Howell, a civil engineer from Alexandria, purchased the land from owners Mrs. Thomas Wilfred Robinson, Sr. and her brothers. Upon purchasing the land, David Howell set up two corporations, one to construct a golf course and club, and the other to develop a residential subdivision. The land was deeded to the Club on September 1, 1924.
Prior to this purchase, the land had a rich history as part of the West Grove Plantation. The West Grove Plantation house was located near where the clubhouse now stands. The plantation house stood on this land until it was burned to the ground by federal troops retaliating against the owner's sons for serving as officers on General Robert E. Lee's staff. No house occupied this land again until the first house was built in Belle Haven at 6041 Woodmont Road.
The name Belle Haven is also part of history. When Scottish pioneers settled along the Potomac River in the early 1700's, they named the settlement after their favorite countryman, the Earl of Belhaven. This early settlement thrived along the Potomac River as a port and was later renamed Alexandria. The Belle Haven Country Club has now become part of the fabric of Alexandria growing together throughout the 20th and into the 21st century.
Belle Haven Today
As the club approached the 21st century, an ambitious Master Plan was developed to update and enhance the many wonderful recreational facilities of Belle Haven Country Club. What began as a modest 9 hole golf course and clubhouse along the Potomac River in 1924 has grown into a private, full service country club boasting an 18 hole golf course designed by world-renowned architect, Arthur Hills. We offer complete golf practice facilities and a full service Golf Pro Shop.
Our Athletic Facility houses a complete fitness center and aerobics room along with 5 indoor DecoTurf tennis courts, Tennis Pro Shop, Children's Activity Center, seasonal swimming pool, men's and ladies' locker rooms with steam and sauna, a year-round restaurant known as the Center Court Cafe and the famous outdoor Sharks Cafe open throughout the summer season. We have 8 outdoor, clay tennis courts and two seasonal platform tennis courts available for our members and their guests.
From the modest beginnings in 1924 to our new 64,000 square foot Clubhouse, Belle Haven has grown to meet the needs of its members. The Clubhouse offers a variety of dining options including formal and informal restaurants, family dining, Bar and Bar Lounge, Terrace and Patio dining along with the Hilliard Room and the relaxing 19th Hole. For special occasions and meetings, Belle Haven offers a beautiful ballroom with views of the golf course. We host banquets and meetings in our spacious Potomac Room with spectacular views of the Potomac River.
But Belle Haven Country Club is more than buildings and activities. Our members, their families and guests are part of the rich tradition of Belle Haven. They come together to relax, have fun and build their own memories with the various events offered such as: Easter Fun Day, Easter Brunch, Mother's Day Brunch, Independence Day Celebration, the Halloween Extravaganza, Thanksgiving Buffet, Breakfast with Santa, New Year's Eve and much, much more!